Michiganweb - Michigan Info Net

INGHAM COUNTY MICHIGAN







Ingham County

Size: 559 Square Miles
Elevation: 800-1000 Feet
Physiography: Rolling plains
Growing Season: 140-160 days
Annual Precipitation: 30-32 inches
Average Snowfall: 40-60 inches
Forest Type: Maple-Beech, Oak-Hickory
Fall Colors: Early October

Settled in 1834, Ingham County was named for Samuel D. Ingham, who was Andrew Jackson's Secretary of the Treasury. A political battle took place about moving the Capitol from Detroit to Lansing. A plank road was built between Lansing and Detroit. In 1855 the first college opened called Michigan Female College, and in 1857 Michigan Agricultural College opened. The Olds Motor Vehicle Company began operation in 1897 in Lansing, but later moved to Detroit. After a fire it moved back to Lansing and started to mass produced automobiles. Today the Oldsmobile factories and state government buildings dominate the city of Lansing. In East Lansing the Michigan Agricultural College changed its name to Michigan State University, and is the states largest educational institution for higher learning.


Ingham County

Aurelius Bell Oak Bunker Hill
Dansville (48819) East Lansing Eden
Fitchburg Forest Hills Haslett (48840)
Holt (48842) Kinneville Lansing
Leslie (49251) Mason (48854) Meridian
Millville Okemos Onodaga (49264)
Packard Pollok Stockbridge (49285)
Tompkins Webberville (48892) White Oak
Williamston (48895) blank blank





Main Page Advertising Rates Disclaimer Site Map

Michiganweb, (Michigan)
Copyright © 1996 - 2015
All Rights Reserved