The Chippewa Indians first occupied Iosco County. Iosco is Indian for "Water of Light."
The first white settlers
were the French traders and trappers. They settled on the Au Sable River in 1848.
In 1852 a lighthouse was built on Tawas Point. Lumbering was the major
industry until a fire destroyed so much. Other industries included fishing,
farming, and mining for salt and gypsum. The Au Sable River, Michigan's
longest river, is known for its trout fishing and canoeing.
Today, more than a third of the county is within the Huron National Forest,
with Lumbermanís Monument standing as a tribute to that era.