Wayne County was submerged beneath the ocean thousands of years ago. With the evaporation
of the water, large salt deposits were left. A group of people known as the Mound Builders
constructed earth mounds all around the area. Because of the early Objibway settlement, many of the main streets
of Detroit are named after the Objibway hunting trails. Antoine Cadillac, a French officer, is known as the founder
of this city. He felt this area would be good for a French fort for expansion and protection.
In 1760 the British took Detroit as part of the Northwest Territory. It wasn't until
after the Revolutionary War, in 1783, that Detroit became an American Post. The British didn't officially
give it up until 1796. The Indian fighter, General Anthony Wayne, came to the area allowing
his name to used for the County. More Americans began to settle here among the French and the British.
In 1805 there was a huge fire that destroyed Detroit. A new city was then designed by
Judge Augustus Woodward. With the shipping industry Detroit began to grow. As railroads were constructed
more immigrants came to the area. Manufacturing began to increase, and in 1899 the first automobile
factory in the world, Olds Motor Works, was opened in Detroit. Other auto pioneers came here, such as Henry Ford.
The first concrete road was constructed, and by 1917 23 car companies were located in the area.